Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley

Authors:
Genre: Young Adult | Contemporary
Release Date: June 3rd 2014
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Rating: ❤❤❤❤
Read:
February 25th 2014


Synopsis
Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.

My Thoughts
                                                    **This may contain some mild spoilers**

In the blink of an eye, Alice went from being a moderately popular girl to a slut. If it wasn't bad enough for her already, Brandon was killed in the car accident, and Alice became a killer slut.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book. Thanks Netgalley and the author for the opportunity to read it early. It is definitely a kind of books that I would choose to read.

One thing I liked about this book is the writing itself. It was clear, flowing and very captivating. It wasn't hard to lose myself in the story. The characters were well-developed, and I found myself want to give Alice and Kurt a hug. They were such great characters. Even Kelsie, who was so confusing and mean, made me want to help her through this difficult time.

Since it was told from multiple point of views, I got to see different sides of the story, of how Alice ended up being in this situation in the first place. And it was heartbreaking. Normally, if a book is told from more than 2 point of views, it tends to get confusing and annoying that we have to jump back and forward pointlessly. Well, I'm happy to say that it wasn't the case here.

I wish Alice had done something about it, though. Maybe screamed out loud that it wasn't truth, or admitted that it happened and told them to eff off. The fact that no one did anything made me a little bit frustrated. Still it was a very well-written book.

I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;