Saturday, November 10, 2012

If I Lie

Author: Corrine Jackson
Pages: 276
Genre: Contemporary
Published Date: August 28 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Synopsis
A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise.
 

Favorite Quote
The military isn't so different from screwed-up families everywhere. Sacrifice everything, including your life, and it still isn't enough. ~ chapter 19

Review
I haven't read a book that made me cry this hard for months now. I loved everything about it, from the first chapter until the last one. I loved how unpredictable the book was. It left me shock and eager to find out what would happen next.

If you haven't read the book yet, please do.  The book is well-written and the characters are very interesting, multi-dimentional.

Below contains spoiler, so be warned!

Starting out, I was not so sure about the book, frankly speaking. In chapter one, I thought it was just another book about teenage drama. I ached for Quinn when she was picked on when I was not so sure what the reason was. Then when I found out she hooked up with another guy and he was Carey's best friend, Blake, even I still hated the way they hurt her, I knew why. Or so I thought. And then I learnt that Carey was gay. Surely I did not see that coming! It was not fair to Quinn how Carey had lied to her for all those years.

I really liked Quinn. She was so strong and brave. I admired how she protected Carey, even it ruined her life. She was forgiving, to some level. I loved how she finally let go of the anger she felt when her "friends" bullied.

The second most favorite character in the book, in my opinion, was George. Grumpy old man, with such a good heart. He made me laugh and cried countless times. He was just likable despite how irritable he sometimes was trying to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;